The Hindon memorial was erected to commemorate those that lost their lives in First World War and it stood in pride of place in the centre of the High Street.
The pillar memorial included a basin below the dedicatory inscription, which looks like it would have been used for flowers, and was surmounted by a lantern. These features are now missing and the memorial has been relocated stand beside the Parish Church. These losses to the memorial and its relocation are related to a single incident.
In 1943, an American tank was passing through the town, and as it navigated the main high street it failed to accomodate the war memorial which it knocked into, causing the pillar to topple and the lantern to break. It appears that following the incident the memorial was moved to a safer location, however the lantern top was not replaced. It was after this time that the inscription referring to the Second World War was added. The whole face was re-inscribed in order to enter the new dates, which is perhaps why, had the basin survived the encounter with the tank, there is no evidence of it ever having been there: it would have been removed to allow for the extended inscription.
The inscription finishes with the quote:
“Endured hardness. Faced danger. And finally passed out of the sight of men by the path of duty and self sacrifice. Giving up their own lives that others might live in freedom”