This week has seen the 90th anniversary of the beginning of one of the most important battles in military history: the Battle of Cambrai. It is regarded by many as the first ‘modern’ battle in which large numbers of tanks, artillery, infantry and aircraft worked in close co-operation with each other for the first time.
We have written previously about how decommissioned tanks were often used as war memorials after the First World War, but did not prove very popular with the public.
We’ve recorded several memorials that refer to the battle Cambrai in their inscriptions. These include a wooden cross that was originally erected in the village of Cambai to commemorate men from the 4th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, who fought at that Battle of Cambrai. The cross was brought back to Dingwall in Scotland in 1924 and erected there as war memorial.